The Two Sides of Jet.com--A Review by a Customer and a Seller's Agent

2015's most notable e-commerce story is Jet.com. Two days ago, New York Times ran a decent story about the startup's strategy. The company made headlines for 1) growing fast--it now has about 900 employees; 2) crossing the one-million-customers milestone in early November, five months after its launch, and 3) receiving a fresh funding of $350 million right before this year's Black Friday shopping extravaganza.

During the last month, I had an opportunity to be a Jet.com shopper, and at the same time, helped a client launch his store on jet.com. Seeing the both sides of the coin, I found the following:



  • As a jet.com shopper, I was extremely happy. For my first order, I not only got a welcome credit of $20, but also experienced its fast delivery service.  The shopping experience on Jet.com was smooth and when I received my order, it was nicely handled and wrapped (it was a piece of children's furniture).
  • Jet.com is good at affiliated marketing. Shopping on affiliated sites (called JetEverywhere program) can earn JetCash, a reward incentive calculated as a percentage of your order value based on which website/portal lists the product.
  • As a shopper, I wouldn't know which vendor actually sold me the product. Jet.com aggregates many sellers' info and its prices include shipping charges. Jet.com will act as a middleman to go between me, the shopper, and the seller, in case of product defect or return request.

This last point--the unique business model by Jet.com--is where the potential problem could arise.


As a shopper, I can't review the seller's reputation before purchase. In contrast, Amazon.com has trained me to check a seller's reputation rating before clicking the buy button. It is a feature that successfully keep Amazon.com sellers honest/responsive and buyers feel comfortable. Only after purchase would the seller name on Jet.com is revealed. I was happy about my purchase, so it was not an issue. But what if I didn't like what I received? Would I have a second thought about why Jet.com hides seller's info before a completed transaction?


When I worked on the other side of the coin--acting as agent for my client to manage his e-commerce store on Jet.com, Jet.com's rules are quite different from others', which I elaborate below.



  • First, its merchandise listing review process was not very transparent. Products that had been uploaded were taken down for further review without further explanation or a timeline for completion. Sellers are left in the dark about status.
  • Second, after a seller sets his price, jet.com will aggregate that info along with info from other suppliers of the same product. It then sets its own price, assumingly adding its own margin. When a shopper places an order, jet.com decides which supplier's product to ship and it is the seller of record. It may simplify shopper's choices, but creates poor visibility for sellers. As a seller, I wouldn't know who competes with me on what terms, and why my product is not chosen.
  • Lastly, when customers have complaints or want exchange or return, Jet.com got the first call, and unfortunately for the seller, jet.com holds the upper hand on whether to issue a refund or exchange. As a seller, this term forces us to take on more risk of merchandise returns, and in practice, a seller has to decide whether to eat that cost or compensate that risk with a higher price.

All in all, Jet.com seems to be a good deal for shoppers. For sellers, Jet.com is a less friendly marketplace than Amazon's, at least for now.


If you'd like more info about how we can help you launch your e-commerce store, please contact us at via our Twitter @Commerceprohelp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eBay is beta testing its shopbot, so how is it?

Fake Reviews...Now a Headache for Amazon

Will Amazon's Exclusives Store Help Alleviate the "Commerce Pirates" Problem?